note*

Please read Dreading Dessert if you are just arriving

Monday, June 4, 2012

Life isn't simple

Things that are easy and require little thought for most people are much more difficult when you have misophonia. For example, when I sit in a restaurant or the dining hall at work I have to think about where I am sitting, who might sit behind me, beside me in front of me. When it is noisy I am better at dealing with things. If I have a choice I sit by a wall because they don't chew.  Movie theaters are risky but usually the movie is loud enough that I don't have to worry about panicking.

The main problem is that my brain over-reacts to such small normally trivial sounds. These sounds are everywhere, grocery stores, church, meetings at work, home, they will never go away and I refuse to stop enjoying myself when I am out so I have developed several coping mechanisms and come up with escape plans in case I cannot handle a noise.

I know that if you don't have misophonia this will only barely explain some random/weird behavior I might occasionally (or frequently) show. If you do have Misophonia or have a child with it then I hope this will give you a few ideas for how to cope. My current goal is to get through each trigger noise without offending anyone.

Scenario: Person is eating in a meeting
Solution: come up with a reasonable excuse to stand in the back of the room, I like to go blow my nose or cough several times out in the hall and then sneak in and stand by the door so that the noise is in front of me. This is not only acceptable because it is considered rude to blow your nose/cough a bunch but also because one appears polite in waiting to sit until one won't be interrupting the meeting (or class)

Scenario: Person is chewing gum in behind you while you are in line (anywhere)
Solution: let them in front of you or pretend you forgot something and go get it and hop in a different line

Scenario: Invited to dinner at a friends house, it is quiet.
Solution: bring music to share with your friends and ask for it to be played or ask for music most people don't mind music.

Scenario: There is a soft noise that is triggering fight or flight, you cannot leave and it cannot be stopped (maybe the way a person is speaking)
Solution: make a noise yourself, tap your teeth together, breathe a little heavier (not creepy heavy though) or if you are sitting, lean on your hand and cover one ear, half the sound is often helpful in dealing with sounds.

As always, I avoid sounds, not people. When all else fails, try to politely excuse yourself and leave, lashing out or staying until a panic attack/ or an angered frenzied feeling occurs isn't the answer.

1 comment:

  1. these are great coping mechanisms! I'm so glad to see that you are finding ways to make this less stressful on yourself. i guess not everyone can be as quiet of an eater as i learned to become =P haha jk. but really, these are good ideas and i'm sure it can be a great encouragement to others suffering from misophonia, rather than just thinking they're going crazy!

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete